Fifty hours of disappointment among the stars

I will always remember No Man's Sky as the game which took too much time to start being fun. I'm not one to quit so roughly 10 hours in, I decided I would play at least 50 hours to be able to say I've explored enough and then decide if I wanted to play more. I don't want to.

I don't know if this is because I played on PSVR2 but everything looks plastic from animals through plants to rocks, and it was way to complicated to figure out even such basic things as how to craft something or which was the main quest. I eventually completed the main storyline - which I didn't find very original - and then built a small base, but quickly lost interest, because objects are just for decoration. Before playing this game I imagined I would enjoy selecting the location for my home and then furnishing it - I had a blast with these in Subnautica - so I was very disappointed to learn I can't even sit on a couch or sleep in my bed. I also thought I would enjoy adopting a pet, but when I saw all those mutant monstrosities inhabiting the planets, I lost all motivation to befriend any.

I did find some pleasant-looking planets (see screenshots), but they were deceiving. I remember how excited I was to find my first Paradise Planet only to be greeted by giant horror insects when I landed! The planet where I eventually settled - a Paradise Planet in a Lush Galaxy - is an okay place. The sky is a nice blue and the coulds are white, but the "grass" is red. The dominant plants are giant mushrooms which light up in all sorts of colors in the night like so many LED lights. The fauna consists of the usual lizard wolf hippopotamus hybrids. Not too bad - if you don't count the whale-sized earwig which occasionally emerges from the ground with a terrifying rumble...

All in all, I felt zero immersion while playing this game, despite being in VR.

Comments